Today’s post is the wedding of Kristina and John who live in Rhode Island. Rhode Island is where John is stationed, John is a marine. John is originally from California and hopes to return someday soon with his lovely bride Kristina. Kristina is a fleight attendent, who is originally from the beautiful state of Virginia.
The wedding day was very warm no it was hot. Even though the weather was hot and muggy the day was light and airy. The bride and bridesmaids were all very sweet and the groomsmen charming. The decor (ceremony and reception) had DIY details and the florals were very organic.
The bride and groom are very much in love and showed there affection towards one another in a darling way…which made my job very easy.
The images are hybrid which means I photographed the couple’s wedding with a film camera and a digital camera.
There are many way to find a great wedding photographer. Here are a few suggestions:
1.WEDDING BLOGS: There are many wonderful wedding blogs out there such as Style Me Pretty, Elizabeth Anne, Once Wed, Green Wedding Shoes, Southern California Bride, Le Magnifique. You can view many real weddings on these sites we photographers often submit our weddings or style shoots. Style shoots may look wonderful but take note these are often just inspirations and most of the time the couples are models. Look for real weddings.
2. INTERNET: Just go to photographers in your area first. It will be less expensive as they are already in your area and will not charge travel. For example: I live in Temecula and have an office I use on occasion in Orange County. If I were a bride or groom searching in Temecula I would search as follows….temecula wedding photographers, temecula wedding photography, temecula wedding photographer, look for photographers at least from page 1 to page 6 as you may miss a great photographer because you gave up your search way to soon. Another example: My office is in Mission Viejo you can do a search for wedding photographers mission viejo or mission viejo wedding photographer. I would not come up under this search as I am under Orange County Wedding Photographers…photographer…photography, which covers all of the OC. I do travel to San Diego which is another close by area. I do not charge travel for Orange County, San Diego, Fallbrook, Temecula, and surrounding areas of Fallbrook and Temecula and some areas of LA county. For all other areas I do charge travel fees dependng on the distance.
3. INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST: So many photographers post their work on social media start looking for the ones you love and follow them.
4. REFERRALS: This is a great place to start. You can look at the photographers work referred to you by a friend and if you love the work the photographer is showing schedule a meeting. First best to interview by phone, text or email. If you like them set up a date to meet in person if possible.
5. DESTINATION BRIDES AND GROOMS: Say you are getting married in Paris then check out photographers in Paris. This will save you travel fees airline expenses etc. There are great photographers all over the world. You will have to search for the one that is the right fit for you.
6. EQUIPMENT: Professional photographers should have only the best equipment weather they are Canon or Nikon it does not matter. What camera and lenses they use do matter. New photographers may not have all the best equipment so for the budget bride ad groom I suggest you find it in your budget to at least hire someone with 2 years experience in wedding photography.
7. FILM…DIGITAL…HYBRID…MIRRORLESS: I am a hybrid wedding, boudoir photographer I use digital and film to capture my clients. You may want to read up on these style of cameras and photographers.
8. PRICING: Pricing depends on a couple of factors. Demand is first but not always the case on how photographers price themselves. Years of experiance but not always the case. Location is sometimes the case but again not always. A persons work speaks for the photographer and that is what pricing is based or should be based on. If someone charges $10,000 it does not mean you can find a just as good photographer for $5,000. A photographer is very improtant the most important vendor as they will capture your entire day. You will have the images of that day for the rest of your life. They will be passed down for generations.
Once you’ve have a few favorite photographers I suggest you narrow it down to a handful of favorites, and set up a time to meet them. Make sure you’re meeting with the person (main shooter) who will be documenting your wedding day, not a sales consultant or studio owner. You have to, like, trust and get along with your photographer — that way you can leave the magic of photo making in the photographer’s hands. Not only should you like their images, you should also like them you do not have to be best friends, you do have to trust them and know they are experianced and will capture your vision. You’ll be spending many hours with them during your wedding day let them see the real you. Hopefully the photographer will let you see the real them. Best!
This Newport Beach couple in love and adore film photography, and although they already had a family friend contracted to document their wedding day I did get to pleasure of photographing their engagement session on film.